Embryo Transfer Day

FullSizeRender.jpg
Our lovely 3AA 5-day blastocyst, now snuggled up inside me.

Today was the big day! This morning we received a call from the nurse, who gave us the great news that all nine of our embryos were still alive and doing well. The best one, graded 3AA, was selected for transfer. There were six more (a few 3ABs, 3BAs, 4BB, etc.) that were ready to freeze today, plus two more that were a bit delayed but will likely be ready to freeze tomorrow.

I was ecstatic to hear the news! The embryologist said it’s very rare that all of the original fertilized eggs make it to the blastocyst stage. While I really hope this little 3AA is the one, it’s good to know we have back-ups in the freezer. They might become siblings one day!

Obligatory stats update:

  • 11 eggs retrieved
  • 10 eggs mature
  • 9 eggs fertilized normally
  • 9 five-day blastocysts
    • 1 3AA blastocyst transferred
    • 8 blastocysts of various grades to be frozen

My husband and I enjoyed a lovely breakfast at our favorite brunch spot down the street, then headed into the clinic for our 11:00 am transfer. After the nurse took us back to the room the embryologist came in to go over the report. I wish I had written it all down, but we’ll get a freezing report from the clinic after the extras are frozen. She said to expect about an 80% survival rate with freezing, but once they’re frozen they’re good indefinitely.

The embryologist also had us sign one more consent form stating that we had approved the transfer of one embryo and the freezing of the remaining eight.

After that the nurse came in to visualize my uterus via abdominal ultrasound. Since my uterus is retroverted they usually tell me not to come with a very full bladder because it makes the angle worse for the catheter. Unfortunately, however, that made it pretty difficult to find. Both the doctor and the nurse had to press really hard to see it and it was so uncomfortable. It also took the doctor a long time to clean my cervix sufficiently since that thick CF cervical mucus was clogging up the works. He said to expect a bit of spotting and cramping since he really had to scrape my cervix. Ouch.

After a long and uncomfortable preparation it was finally time for the transfer! The doctor confirmed the placement of the catheter via ultrasound, then both he and the embryologist confirmed my information one last time before putting the embryo in. It felt pretty much just like an IUI, though slightly more uncomfortable due to all the extra cleaning needed today.

Afterward the doctor had me lie down for a few minutes, then go empty my bladder to take the pressure off my uterus. His advice over the next few days was to keep up with normal, mild activity but avoid exercise or intercourse. He advised against my doing my vest physiotherapy for 3-4 days. My CF doctor thought that might be the case so they advised using my Aerobika, which is more gentle, instead.

When I asked if I should try to rest or lie down more he said that inactivity can actually be worse for implantation, so I should just go about my life as normal.

At the end they gave us a little picture of the blastocyst they had transferred (above) and I asked what the doctor thought my chances are. He estimated 50/50. My uterus looks good, the embryo looks good, and we’ve done all we can. Transferring more embryos would have improved our chances, but due to my CF my doctor is very against any increased chance of multiples.

Now the two-week-wait begins! Except in our case, it’s really more of a one-week-wait. My pregnancy test date will be Monday, November 30th. I don’t know why they do it at 13 days post-retrieval, but I’m not going to argue!

We haven’t really decided whether or not we’re going to test at home. I did do a baseline home pregnancy test this morning to determine whether or not the hCG trigger shot was out of my system; it is, and the test was negative. So if we do decide to test we’ll know it’s unlikely we would get a false positive. With both my IUIs I started out thinking I wasn’t going to test at home but I broke down and did it anyway. It’s a double-edged sword: it’s nice to know and be able to emotionally prepare for the official test result, but seeing those negative tests was such a let-down that I almost wished I had waited. We’ll see how it goes. I think my husband is going to be campaigning for a home test as soon as we can try. 😉

That’s it for now! Send some positive energy our way!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s