Egg Retrieval Results


This morning I had my egg retrieval. To be honest, it hasn’t been a great experience.

I woke up at 5:30 am and couldn’t get back to sleep because I was so excited and nervous for the procedure at 9:30. My husband woke up too, but things were going crazy at his work so even though he was working from home he had a lot of fires to put out. So I took a shower, got ready, and went in alone.

At my hysteroscopy a few weeks ago I warned the nurses that my veins were very small so an older nurse took over for the one who was originally helping me. She placed my IV in one quick poke. This time, no such luck. My poor nurse tried three times before giving up and asking the anesthesiologist to do it. Luckily the anesthesiologist was able to get it pretty quickly and they got the fluids running.

The doctor and the fellow assisting him stopped by to say hello while I was waiting in pre-op. I hadn’t met this doctor before, but he was very kind and I felt I was in good hands.

Just a few minutes later it was time for the procedure so the nurse walked me into the operating room. Just like at the hysteroscopy the nurse strapped my legs into the stirrups and strapped my arms down at my sides. I was ready for it this time around so it didn’t feel quite as scary. The anesthesiologist told me she was starting the IV sedation and I started to feel a bit sleepy, but not totally out. I kept making noises and talking to them so they wouldn’t think I was asleep and start the procedure! Last time the sedation took hold very quickly, but this time they must have been going slowly. After a few minutes I heard the anesthesiologist say she was going increase the dose. I felt the doctor put in the speculum and I started getting really freaked out that they were going to start while I was still conscious. Luckily, though, I was out pretty soon after that so I didn’t feel anything.

The next thing I knew I was waking up in recovery. I felt like I was freezing cold and I was shivering all over. The nurse came in to check on me and put another warm blanket on me, which helped. I felt a lot of dull pain in my uterus area despite the extra-strength Tylenol they gave me before the procedure. The nurse helped me sit up in the bed and gave me some apple juice, which helped wake me up a bit. I was still feeling pretty groggy, but I could hear nurses talking outside the curtain saying they needed to send me home because they needed the bed for another patient. I really didn’t feel ready to go, but they had me get dressed. As the nurse was taking out my IV she said, “So they told you they got eleven, right?”

No one had, but I was glad to know. I felt some disappointment that it hadn’t been more, though. I asked if the doctor was going to come talk to me and she said he would meet me in the lobby.

The nurse guided me out to meet my husband who was there waiting for me. We sat on the sofa to wait for the doctor and I told him they got eleven eggs. He gave me a fist bump – I had told him I would be happy with anything more than ten, given what my doctor told us on Saturday about the number of follicles he could see. My husband assured me he had gotten a good semen sample and had given it directly to the embryologist.

After a few minutes the fellow came out to find us, then called us into a consultation room to go over everything. He told me that out of the eleven eggs retrieved, ten were mature and one was in the last stage before maturity, so it might become mature by the time the embryologist did ICSI that afternoon. He said those are great stats for maturity and my regular doctor, who had stopped in to check on things, was really happy with the numbers. However, when I asked him if the number of eggs retrieved was good, he hesitated. He said that in the grand scheme of things eleven is good, but they would have expected a bit more since I’m only 27 and “significantly younger than most of their patients.” That was disappointing to hear, especially since my doctor had said my cycle was going so well. It sort of confirms my suspicions that he was under-stimming me after all. I really hope it doesn’t cost us embryos, especially since we were hoping to have some to freeze. God knows I really don’t want to have to do this again.

After that downer, though, the doctor had some good news: everything should be fine to move forward with a fresh transfer later this week, assuming we get a good embryo!

I’m hoping these stats from Advanced Fertility Center of Chicago hold true for me. A 65% chance looks pretty good!

I’m home now and doing all right, though I’m still feeling pretty painful. I guess I thought the pain wouldn’t be this bad. I stood up and walked around the apartment a bit earlier since I was hungry, but didn’t want to spill food in the bed. That may not have been the best idea. I was hobbling around whimpering from the pain. I’m back in bed now with a heating pad and some more extra-strength Tylenol, which seems to do the trick as long as I don’t move around. The last I checked I wasn’t having any bleeding, though, so that’s good.

My husband is taking care of me as best he can, but unfortunately today turned out to be a really bad day for him to be out of the office. He told me he actually got chewed out by a more senior guy at his firm for being behind on things today, which has never happened before. I guess he did tell them after the fact that his wife was having surgery today and that was why he dropped the ball, but they were still upset that he didn’t give them advance notice that he might be unavailable for parts of the day. Usually it wouldn’t be a problem, but today it was. I feel so bad for him – he really took it hard. He has a really demanding job and it puts a huge amount of stress on him.

So, that’s where we’re at. I start prednisone tonight and doxycycline tomorrow; both will continue until the embryo transfer. I also start Endometrin tomorrow and will continue that until (and hopefully beyond) my pregnancy test on the 30th. I’m supposed to get my fertilization report tomorrow morning by 10:00 am, and the doctor said to expect about an 80% fertilization rate. We’re doing ICSI so I hope it might be a little higher… a little optimism can’t hurt, right?

I’ll update tomorrow with the news on the fertilization report. Sorry this hasn’t been a super happy post, but I’m just not feeling great about how everything went today. Fingers crossed for some good news tomorrow.


2 thoughts on “Egg Retrieval Results

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s